WHAT YOU NEED.
- An empty plastic bottle like this one (2 Litre), with the lid
- A jug of warm water
- A match
1. Fill the plastic bottle on third full with warm water.
2. Put the cap on and squeeze, then release, the bottle. Nothing happens.
3. With adult supervision… light a match and place it into the bottle, replacing the lid very quickly… like this.
4. Try squeezing and releasing the bottle again… see what happens?
A cloud appears in the bottle.
So what is happening?
Well, to make a cloud you need water vapour… provided here by our warm water, you need small particles, like the smoke from the match and you need a decrease in pressure…which is why we squeeze, then release, the bottle.
Try it again… just squeeze and release and the cloud appears again.